This is the ultimate ski touring holiday. Deep powder as far as the eye can see, a comfortable lodge in a remote wilderness setting, your own personal guide and gourmet cook; all you have to do is show up and ski!
The terrain surrounding Icefall Lodge is vast and impressive. Having a guide is essential in order to truly take advantage of all the region has to offer, from alpine skiing to glacier travel and some of the longest runs in Canada, if not the world. The option is yours to maximize your vertical meters, embark on a loop tour, summit several peaks and explore the area at your own pace.
And, if one lodge isn’t enough, Icefall has two satellite huts situated on the Lyell and Mons Glaciers. A day’s traverse will put you in an entirely new playground full of options for fun and adventure. Or, you may choose to optimize your time spent descending by hiring a helicopter to bring you home to the lodge at the end of a long day. Anything is possible at Icefall!
Lyell Hut Traverse
The traverse exponentially increases the amount of terrain available at Icefall Lodge. It also offers a much higher elevation and north facing glacier skiing, which is a big advantage when the weather gets warm. The traverse can be done with a light pack and normally takes 6- 7 hours. The crux of the traverse is Crampon Col: although you don’t need crampons there is a steep section that normally requires some boot packing. Returning from the hut is much faster, normally 2-3 hours.
Mt Kemmel 3150m, 10,300 feet
Of course, the sun doesn’t always shine. When the snow we love happens to fall, skiing in the trees offers better visibility and delicious powder skiing. The lodge is situated in Kemmel Valley just below tree line, with open glades steps from the door in all directions. With options like this, we say let it snow!
- 9 bedrooms and 2 lofts can comfortably accommodate 18 guests
- 2 lodges, both with wood stoves, comfortable living rooms and glacier views
- Heated drying room
- Sauna and showers
- Indoor toilets
- Satellite internet
- Hut slippers, iPod speakers and yoga mats with plenty of room to stretch
Sauna and showers
There will normally be 2 guides and a practicum at the lodge for a full group. The group will be split up to go on different tours each day. These groups are not rigid and you can switch back and forth between groups or choose an easier or bigger day depending on how you feel. Sometimes both groups will start out in the same direction and split up at a given time and location. There is often one group that stays closer to the lodge allowing the option to return early if you want an easier or shorter day. Every effort will be made to make sure that you are with a group that matches your ability.
What makes this trip special?
- Icefall Lodge is extraordinary – gourmet meals and all the comforts of home in a remote wilderness setting surrounded by summits and glaciers in all directions. Bask in the alpenglow from the comfort of a stunning timber framed chalet set deep in the Canadian Rockies.
- With the option to traverse to two additional huts, the possibilities are endless. Ski one area for a couple of days then move on to the next. Expand your horizons and take your powder skiing adventure to a whole new level – literally!
- Hire a helicopter to pick you up or drop you off in remote locations, maximizing your time on skis and getting a bird’s eye view of the incredible peaks all at the same time!
- Unique amenities like a wood fire sauna and shower are the cherry on top of a once in a lifetime ski touring experience. Set your playlist, grab a yoga mat and stretch it out as the sun sets on another perfect day.
- Our trips are fully customizable to suit the needs and desires of your group. We can venture as high and as far as you like, given the weather forecast and current snow conditions. The sky is the limit!